Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Keal Family Letter, September 2004

Dear Family and Friends, Solomon here. Well our life has taken a
drastic turn. For those of you that don't know yet, I found out last
Friday that I'm being laid off in two months. But we've decided to see
this potentially scary change of events as being providential. After
all, we've been praying for who knows how long that I could stop
working for Junge Construction, and do music instead. Well, be careful
what you pray for.... So rather than scramble to try to find another
day job in two months, we're going to take the plunge and dive into the
music industry and trust that the Lord is in charge. This really is
perhaps the best time to do it. And I think that the necessity of
having to make a living, will be a good incentive for actually getting
it off the ground. After all, it's either music, or try to find
another carpentry job. They're really the only two things I've got
talent in. So I might as well give music a shot. I also feel like it
would be letting the Lord down, to not attempt to use the talent that
He's given me.
Tirah is working part time for Carl's new business (Effective Heating
Plumbing and Air Conditioning), so that's a little income. She's also
going to work weekends at Hawk Mountain this Fall, so that's a little
more. We have lots of friends and family that are very generous and
willing to help us. Needless to say, the next several months and
possibly year, will be VERY TIGHT financially. Very likely, I will
need to go on Unemployment until I can actually start making money from
my music.
But, we are actually very excited about all of this. Currently I am
working on writing up a Business Plan, which will not only help me
organize and figure out what exactly I will be doing to make money, but
also will be something I can give to any wealthy benefactors who might
be interested in funding my start-up costs.
Steve is currently working on created a website for me. I will be
signing up for a Home-Study Recording Engineering course before the end
of this month. And I'm starting to do some major research into
marketing schemes. The Business will essentially consist of three
branches: a) Songwriting - This will consist of me writing songs and
recording demos to be send to publishers and/or artists to then be
recorded and released. This will (at some future date) generate
royalty income. b) Composing, performing, and recording my piano
music. This will include both marketing and selling my two previous
albums, as well as creating, marketing and selling new albums.
Performing will preferably be limiting to local gigs like coffee shops,
book stores, restaurants, and events such as weddings and concerts.
c) Recording. I intend to learn enough about recording that I can not
only record good quality demos, but good quality finished CDs. This
skill would also allow me to either look for a job at a local recording
studio, or start up my own recording studio. The plan is that we
could eventually live off of the income generated by the above business
endeavors.
The idea of doing what I truly love for a living is very, very
exciting. But until it's a reality, I'm going to need lots and lots of
encouragement and support. Tirah has been my guardian angel through
all of this. She's the Number One Reason that I believe I can do it at
all.
In other news, Cirdan will be baptized by his grandfather (Clark
Echols) this Labor Day. He's the cutest little boy ever! He smiles
at everything! It's so amazing to hold him in my arms, worried about
the financial responsibility of supporting this little life, and then
have him give me a huge smile, as if to say, "I believe in you Papa.
Everything will be O.K." His little bubble of joyful innocence is
like tuning into a Heavenly radio station. It's amazing how the very
things that cause you to worry can be the source of your consolation.
Thea is talking more and more. Perhaps the cutest thing is that she
knows Cirdan's name; she calls him "Nan-nan" and sometimes even
"Neer-nan." She's growing up so fast!
Tirah is, as I said, working for Carl, and will be working at Hawk
Mountain this Fall. As well as being a Mother, Home-maker, Wife, and
full time Support Group for me. She's amazing.
Well, enough for now. I need to go work on my Business Plan. But I
want to close with a quote from a Country song that's out on the radio
right now and is a source of great inspiration for me. "Business man
playin' air guitar; Always dreamed he'd be a Super Star; Quits his job
and starts playin' at nights; Is he giving up his living, or taking
back his life? I guess it's all how you look at it."
See you next month. - Solomon

No comments: